Jane is looking for a Staff Data Engineer who is passionate about innovation and working with cutting-edge technology to create data-driven analytics. More importantly, this person loves to take on challenges and work through them with a group of like-minded people. You are an expert at all things data-related, from extractions to ETL to modelling the data warehouse, you’ll be motivated by contributing to the growth of a high-performance team in a hyper-growth environment.
Our Analytics and Reporting team innovates and maintains the infrastructure that delivers business deliveryintelligence to tens and thousands of Jane customers across the globe. As a Staff Data Engineer on the team, you will be a high-impact technical leader.
Like with all positions at Jane, the Staff Data Engineer position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 10 million API calls per day.
We’re profitable, product-led and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 250 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
Last year alone we’ve grown our development team from 36 to 70, and the product team has doubled as a whole. 2022 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our telehealth experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Jane is now the number one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
Of course, it’s not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
Jane offers reasonable hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
To be successful in this role…
- You’ll contribute to the continuous development of our cloud-based pipeline and ETL process to maintain the accuracy and integrity of our data
- Lead technical decisions on scaling the current platform, building new features, growing our awesome team and developing our data architecture roadmap
- Mentor and guide junior engineers and expose new opportunities to the team
- Be a subject matter expert to leadership for technical advice and best practices
So what are we specifically looking for?
- Extensive experience with technical mentoring, coaching, and improving the technical output of the people around you.
- Strong knowledge of at least one scripting or programming language.
- Experience with Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases - Redshift, Snowflake etc
- Experience with data warehouse data modelling, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools, data structures and strong SQL skills.
- Experience with AWS tools
- Experience with test-driven development
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Terraform)
Bonus points for:
- Experience in designing and delivering cross-functional custom reporting solutions.
- Experience with Big Data technologies e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Hue, Spark, Scala etc
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience in scaling large enterprise data warehouses
- Experience in data visualization
- Experience with security products and methods (Apache Ranger, Apache Knox, OAuth, IAM, Kerberos)
- Experience building full-stack applications (Ruby/Rails, React, TypeScript)
- Highly competitive base salary
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Parental top-up.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.
If you want to get started, tell us your story.