All job postings for tech start-ups end up sounding the same, so we’ll try to communicate some specifics about what Jane is all about and see if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane is a home-grown, bootstrapped startup. This means we’ve been growing a real business out of our own revenue for over 7 years now. We have the luxury and security of not having a zero-cash date like some venture-backed companies.
Jane was founded by a product-person and a customer-person, who are now the Co-CEOs. This means the two main teams at Jane (the product and the customer support team) are both led by doers who understand the job. We don’t have any suits here. We don’t even have a sales team. We’re building a really good product that is selling fast because people love it.
Jane is headquartered in North Vancouver but is a remote-first employer, welcoming candidates from anywhere in Canada. In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, our team is working from home within Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
When we do make it back in, Jane has a great office overlooking both the mountains and the ocean. Being located at the base of the North Shore mountains has meant that after-work mountain biking and snowboarding is super easy. Some of us have even managed an early morning trail run before starting the day — in small, socially-responsible sized groups, of course.
Jane offers sane hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
Jane’s road map is exciting. Well, we think so. From integrating Jane with various insurance companies all over the world to introducing new features like secure HIPAA-compliant chat to data-sciencing the massive amounts of data we’re accumulating and providing cool insights to our users, we’ve got a lot of great projects on the go.
Our product team also has flexibility around their hours. Some choose to start early, some start late and work late. Some do a split shift for a mid-day brain break. We’re open to figuring out a schedule that works for you.
What are we looking for?
- 3+ years of professional Ruby and Rails experience
- Ability to write clean, well-documented code
- Knowledge of functional programming
- Rock solid at working with third-party dependencies and debugging dependency conflicts
- Understanding of REST APIs
- React experience and knowledge of state management (without Redux)
- Experience with automated testing suites, like Jest, Mocha or Rspec
- Experience with tools like Bugsnag or Honeybadger to monitor application stability and chase down bugs
- Passion for making things better
- Comfortable navigating *nix environments
- Excited by technical design discussion and have a passion for making things better
- Interested in building integrations, APIs, and transforming data into a variety of obscure legacy formats (thanks to the health insurance industry!)
- Strong command of git: comfortable with interactive rebases and dealing with tricky conflicts
- Familiarity with a modern software stack that empowers our developers to release value to customers multiple times a day
Bonus points for:
- Experience with writing SQL
- Familiarity with cloud architecture generally and AWS specifically
If you want to get started, tell us your story.