Jane is looking for someone who loves working with data! We’re building some exciting new features into Jane that need new approaches to data warehousing and analysis.
All job postings for tech start ups end up sounding the same, so we’ll try to communicate some specifics about what Jane is all about and see if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane’s a North Vancouver company that has been growing out of our own revenue for over 4 years — we’re profitable and not dependent on fundraising.
Because we are not in the VC world, Jane isn’t always flashy in the tech news, but because we want people like you to be excited to apply, we’ll tell you about some recent wins.
The Globe and Mail ranked us 46th out of 400 in their list of Canada’s Top Growing Companies and we’re currently second on Business In Vancouver’s Fastest Growing Companies in BC rankings. That’s fun, but fast growth needs to be balanced with scaling a healthy company and team. And that’s where we get really excited.
Jane values flexibility, autonomy, and mastery in a relaxed North Vancouver setting where you get to work with great people — and because Jane is led by co-founders who did all the original development and customer support of Jane, we know what makes a great work environment for coders and for the team supporting our customers.
We are hyper focused on happy staff and happy customers as a means to a thriving and growing business.
Jane offers sane hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
Our devs get to really own the projects they’re working on from beginning to end. We’re focusing a lot on code quality and getting to nerd out on exploring the best possible ways to build things. At the same time, we’re moving fast: releasing updates daily and being really responsive to what we’re hearing from our users.
Jane’s road map is exciting. Well, we think so. From integrating Jane with various insurance companies all over the world, to introducing new features like secure HIPAA-compliant chat, to data-sciencing the massive amounts of data we’re accumulating and providing cool insights to our users, we’ve got a lot of great projects on the go.
To contribute to social distancing efforts, our team is currently fully remote until we can re-open safely. As such, this role is work-from-home to start but with the expectation that you’ll join us in-office when safe to do so.
Jane has a pretty great office in North Vancouver. Being located at the base of the North Shore mountains means that after-work mountain biking and snowboarding is super easy. Some of us even manage an early morning trail run before starting the day.
We’ve got a ridiculously good coffee program and we tend to celebrate frequently with good food and drinks.
Our product team also has flexibility around their hours. Traffic sucks, so we don’t want people sitting in it. Some choose to start early, some start late and work late. Some do a split shift for a midday brain break. We’re open to figuring out a schedule that works.
Some things you’ll be working on:
- Building, maintaining, and enhancing our data analysis pipeline to support new data-driven features in Jane
- Deploying your code to sandbox infrastructure, testing it, and shepherding your code through pull-requests all the way to production
- Working with data analysts, developers, and designers to iterate on pipeline workflows to give the best possible user experience
- Supporting business decisions with ad hoc analysis as needed
- Monitoring data performance and modifying infrastructure as needed
- Advise, consult on, and implement data privacy and retention policies
So what are we specifically looking for?
- You’ve worked on web applications, and you understand how a request flows through the infrastructure
- You’re adaptable: you’re comfy debugging some python code, testing and deploying it, and then optimizing a SQL query in the code to make it run faster
- You have thoughts and opinions on how to design a data pipeline to drive a great experience in the app
- You’re comfy manipulating data in a dynamic programming language (Python/R/etc)
- You can suggest and implement caching and other performance optimization techniques
- Writing great tests makes you sleep better at night
- You’re a data sleuth. You can comb through the logs to track down a malfunctioning endpoint, deploy a fix, and tell the team how you solved the mystery!
- You’re excited to help keep an app running smoothly, and you have ideas how to make it even better
Bonus points for:
- Experience with a distributed data store (eg Redshift, BigQuery, HBase)
- Experience with AWS technologies like Redshift, Lambda, Kinesis or analogs
- Experience managing infrastructure iteration using Terraform
- Comfortable with more complex SQL queries
- Experience with Agile development processes
If you’re interested in knowing more about Jane and the opportunity to work here, let’s arrange for a safe and socially-responsible video call.