Setting Up Sessions
Now that we have your Disciplines all set up, the next thing we’ll have to do is let Jane know what types of sessions we offer under that particular category.
As a provider of mental health services, you may offer a variety of different session types including one-on-one appointments, appointments for couples or other related groups, remote Telehealth appointments, or even the occasional class.
And within a particular session type, you may have appointments of varying length and/or pricing. For example, you might have both a 60 minute individual appointment and a 90 minute individual appointment.
We find that it might be helpful to grab a pen and a piece of paper to jot down all of the different types of sessions that you offer so that you can all the different options that we will want to create. For your reference, here is an example of one of the ways a clinic might break down their sessions within a “Counselling” discipline:
- New Client Free Consultation (In Office) - 15 Minutes
- New Client Free Consultation (Telehealth) - 15 Minutes
- Individual Counselling Session (In Office) - 60 Minutes
- Individual Counselling Session (In Office) - 90 Minutes
- Individual Counselling Session (Telehealth) - 60 Minutes
- Individual Counselling Session (Telehealth) - 90 Minutes
- Couples Counselling Session (In Office) - 120 Minutes
Now let’s chat about how to actually set up your variation of session types. We’ll start by heading over to your Settings > Sessions & Classes > New Session.
You’ll have the option to create an Online Appointment (Telehealth) or an In-Person Appointment.
Treatment or Class Booking
Please note that Jane’s Online Appointments are One-on-One only at this time. Click here to learn more about Telehealth - did we mention there’s no additional charge for this feature?
If you offer any in person classes, you can select up to 50 participants to book at once:
From here, you can fill in the Session Name. The Billing Name is optional and only required if you need to provide an alternate name to appear on invoices and receipts.
Before and After Booking Descriptions are optional and can always be filled in later.
Next up is the Session Length and the Scheduled Length. We often see the scheduled length extended for post session time, to allow for charting or a quick break.
Now you can set your price for the session. Jane allows for sliding scale adjustments, which we’ll review in more detail shortly. In this section, you simply want to add your Base Price and choose if this is a flat fee (by leaving the “tax” fields blank) or if there is tax included/added to the base price.
Optionally choose a colour for your internal schedule. Please note that clients do not see this colour.
Lastly, choose your Online Booking Settings.
Click here for more information on how to customize your online booking. :)
Frequently Asked Questions
“This is great Jane, but I often work with couples….how do I set up sessions and simplify booking for appointments with more than one person?”
- Great question! You’ll find all the information you need in this guide document: Couples or Related Groups
Group / Class Bookings
“I’m planning on running a seminar. Do you have more information about Jane’s classes?”
- You know it! Click here to learn more. :)
Sliding Scale Fees
- “I offer different prices to different clients. How do I accommodate that?” Jane has two super user-friendly ways to work with all of the different types of prices you offer:
- “I want to offer online booking, but only for my existing clients. Is there a way to prevent new clients from booking an appointment?” Absolutely - you have full control over who can book online:
Have more questions for us? Feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re always happy to help!